Thursday, November 19, 2009

THIRD WAVE: Top Twenty Favorite Ska Songs Of All Time - Part 2

This post ended up way bigger than initially planned so I'll skip the wordy-intro and present without further ado the second half of this list:

11. Straight Edge by NOFX




Mostly punk band, NOFX, has a deep love for horns as seen on this cut from one of their earliest releases. It seems they use the horns in songs whenever they want to cut loose or be silly. Horns keep it light.

12. The Set Up (You Need This) by Reel Big Fish




The best Reel Big Fish album of all time. This song is just one of my two favorites on this album. I remember working at Blockbuster around the time this album came out. They used to play music videos on the TV's around the store and this music video was on one of the videotapes the company sent out. I played it so many times I'm sure I broke the tape.

13. Giant Bird Head by the Aquabats




Another example of how brilliantly insane the Aquabats are. In case you can't figure it out from listening, this song is about building giant robots to fight off floating eyeballs. LOVE IT. If I had to pick on other band I'd want to script a comic book for that band would be the AQUABATS.


14. Saga by Pilfers




I knew I wanted to include a Pilfer's song on this list but I couldn't settle on which one. I picked this one because it is without question their prettiest sounding song. Honestly, if you like this song even a little bit you should do yourself the favor of downloading the entire album. This is a MUST OWN.


15. Gainseville Rock City by Less Than Jake




I hated living there but you don't grow up in a place for 26 years and not have some state pride. This song is for Florida.


16. Failing, Flailing by Streetlight Manifesto





Another shinning example of the greatness of Streetlight. This is just great music no matter how you slice it. One of my most often replayed songs.



17. The Kids Don't Like It by Reel Big Fish





I think this is my favorite RBF song of all time. I can't really point to a reason why but I have a feeling it's linked to memories of driving around Florida with my buddy Dave and listening to this album on repeat for hours. 


18. Big Crash by Less Than Jake





"Big Plans, Big Crash" - if those words don't make sense to you then you haven't experienced life. This song is all about the unpredictability of life. Important words to live by in this song. 


19. Martian Girl by the Aquabats





Who hasn't wanted to marry a martian? WHO?!


20. Monkeys by the Mad Caddies





Another late edition to my SKA-rsenal but I would be remiss if I didn't give this song it's due. It's a ska song about my favorite animal what's NOT to like?


Aaaaand that's all she wrote. Please comment below. I know I may have missed some of your favorites so I encourage you to share them in the comments below. 

2 comments:

  1. I don't know, Shawn, it seems like you're

    wait for it...

    Ska-ting on thin ice with some of these choices!

    ReplyDelete