Saturday, November 7, 2009

Reel Big Fish.....Continued

Let me start off by saying the response to the first set of pages has been amazing. Thank you to every one that has left a comment or twttered me about the comic and my blog post. It's nice to hear other RBF fans point out in jokes that we (my co-writer and I) tucked in among the jokes and silliness.

The response has been so impressive it's motivated me to dig up any other RBF related art I could find. As I mentioned in the previous blog, the idea was that this book would be an anthology. Dave and I wanted to play with as many different genres as we could fit into the 88 page limit. The five pages I found are actually the opening of the book. I asked one of my Vicious Circle Project partners, Jason Sobol, to do the art for this part. I picked Sobol because Dave and I had written this opening to be an warly-90's style Image Comics homage. Unfortunatly the art was never complete (which was no fault on Sobol since I wasn't paying him a dime and he's married with two kids) and so you don't get to the end where....you know what? Screw it. Here's the drawn pages and then the script of how this part should've ended. Thanks again for the nice replies. Hope this makes you smile.

*NOTE: These pages are RAW. That means not only are they unfinished there are parts still drawn in blue line pencil. I've enhanced these parts digitally and as a result the quality has degraded. Jason Sobol is a kick ass artist. If you like his art with my words I encourage you to stick around either this blog or my twitter for more information on our upcoming web comic: "Galaxy Girl"







PAGE SIX (5 PANELS)

1- Dan sees The Chib getting pulled in opposite directions by two Robot Ninjas.

DAN R.
HEY!  You DON'T mess with The Chib.... Let's see how these clowns like the taste of....

2- Dan has pulled out a small plastic bong.

DAN R.
...BONG WATER!!

3- Now he is pouring the water all over the two robots attacking the Chib.  Sparks are shooting out of their faces.

ROBOT NINJA: B
BZZT....NO....BZZZT!

CHIB
They're gonna blow!

4- Dan and the Chib, mid-air as the two Robot Ninja's EXPLODE behind them.  This should be the big action movie moment.

SFX
KA-BOOOOM!

5- a small circular panel set over the last panel but located in the bottom right hand corner of the page.  It's a CLOSE UP of Aaron (drawn in the "Archie" style of the rest of the book)_

AARON
Wait a minute....

PAGE SEVEN (6 PANELS)

1- PULL OUT to REVEAL - The band is actually on stage in front of a sold out crowd of screaming fans.  It should be clear that this is reality and that the previous five pages were fictional.

The band is on stand (from left to right) in the following order: John, Dan, Scott, Aaron, Matt and Ryland behind the drum kit.

John, Dan, Ryland and Matt are all staring at Scott who is holding the mic stand like a sword and acting out the story as he tells it.

SCOTT K.
--so Dan's all, "HOW DO YOU LIKE SOME BONG WATER, BITCHES!"  And then the explosive's like....Ka-BLAM!  Thankfully Dan and the Chib were okay.  But they hadn't destroyed all the evil Robot Ninja's of Kentucky yet so me and the other guys had to--

AARON
Scott...stop....Scott...

SCOTT K.
...devise some sort of plan.  We headed into the bus to regroup when...

AARON
Scott...

2- CLOSE ON Scott.

SCOTT K.
The bus begins to shake and rumble.  Aaron was peeing himself with fear, he does that when he's scared....pees all over the walls and...

3- CLOSE ON Aaron.

AARON
Scott...

4- CLOSE ON Scott.

RYLAND
Scott....

5- CLOSE ON Scott.

SCOTT K.
...just piss everywhere....the floor....

6- CLOSE ON Matt.

MATT W.
Scott...

PAGE EIGHT (4 PANELS)

1- Wide shot of the crowd from the bands POINT OF VIEW.

CROWD
SCOTT!

2- ON Scott.

SCOTT K.
....and-- (beat) What?

3- On Aaron.

AARON
We should try to play at least one song...

4- A shot of Scott, John and Aaron.

SCOTT K.
But I'm telling my story...

AARON
For the past twenty-two minutes.

SCOTT K.
I'm almost finished.

JOHN
And none of what you're saying even happened.

SCOTT K.
It could have.

AARON
Song time.

SCOTT K.
Fine....Now, kids, it's time for a song....

PAGE NINE (5 PANELS)

1- WIDE SHOT over the audience, similar to the one at the top of page 6.

CROWD
YAY!  WOOO!

ONE FAN
You suck.

ANOTHER FAN
Play 'Trendy'!

AARON
ONE-TWO....ONE-TWO-THREE-FOUR...

2- The band begins to play, "Beer".

AARON
She called me late last night, to say she loved me so...  It didn't matter anymore...

3- Matt Wong plays the bass like none other.  Eyes closed, truly feeling the music.

AARON
...but I say she never cared and that she never will, I'd do it all again I guess I'll have to wait until then...

4- John and Dan play their horn parts and dance like crazy.

AARON
If I get drunk well, I'll pass out on the floor now baby you won't bother me no more... If you're drinkin' well, you know that you're my friend and I say I think I'll have myself a BEER!

5- A wide shot of all of them rocking.  Girls Crowd surf and the pit is a sea of smiling skankin' ska lovers.

CAPTION
FIN.

3 comments:

  1. Favorite lines: "Just a trumpet player?!...Now who's expendable?" And ONE FAN: "You suck." So bittersweet. Good ending...Hollywood Movie-like even

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was probably the greatest thing I've ever read. "Lets see how these guys like the tast of BONG WATER." Haha that was my favorite line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was great hahaha. It really exaggerates the onstage banter Scott provides lol. These comics are great. I hope to see more!

    ReplyDelete