Thursday, November 19, 2009

THIRD WAVE: Top Twenty Favorite Ska Songs Of All Time - Part 1

As has been previously mentioned, I love me some Ska music. That powerful combination of horns and back beat gets my feet tappin' and my head bobbin' every time but nothing gets the blood flowing like the addition of some screaming guitar. This is what the Third Wave of Ska added to the already brilliant marriage of Rock-steady and Reggae. I listen to a lot of ska music and though my music tastes have evolved over the years there is still nothing I have heard that packs more wallop than a rockin' Ska-Core blowout.

Today I would like to introduce you to twenty of the BEST that Third-Wave had to offer the world. Posted below in no particular order are a collection of songs that have moved me in one way or another. There are some bands that have multiple songs on the list and others that are only mentioned once but I want to mention that ALL of the bands included on this list have albums that SHOULD be listened to in their entirety. These are CD's that were listened to repeatedly in my youth and it was actually pretty difficult picking my favorites. (in the interest of full disclosure you should know this list started out as my top TEN but I quickly realized picking ONLY ten was impossible). Enjoy the first-half of the list!


1. Beer by Reel Big Fish




This might be the first Ska song I was fully aware of. It's also one of the first songs I remember rocking out to. At the time (and still a bit now) I didn't even like drinking beer that much but I dare you, DARE you to listen to this song and not what to get drunk/rowdy with a group of good friends. 'Beer' is a shinning example of how great punk rock sounds when graced with the presence of a few trumpet blasts. 

2. 20¢ Goodbye by Goldfinger



Goldfinger is a close second in bands that mean something to me. Between their first album and RBF's I had fallen in love with this crazy Ska sound. This song in particular is one of my favorites. It goes on this list because it's a song I can never skip when it comes up on Shuffle. It is catchy and I think everyone can relate to ye old pre-cell phone days when we were forced to use disgusting pay phones. If you can't relate to that then certainly you can relate to the frustration of need to apologize to someone only to realize this conversation isn't going to go well and this will probably a long goodbye. Either way you can hear the frustration in John Feldman's voice and it's that level of emotion that runs though all of Goldfinger's early work that made me a fan in the first place.

3. What Happened To My Radio? by Buck'O'Nine

 CLICK HERE TO PLAY SONG

These guys are another amazing band who truly embraced the Third Wave sound which was, at its core, all about being as different from mainstream music as possible. This lyrics to this song further exemplify the frustration some of these musicians felt with the state of music at the time. This sentiment is still echoed today by practically anyone with music tastes that's forced to listen to terrestrial radio.

4. Freakshow by The Pietasters



The trombone in this song is absolutely the definition of ass-kicking and the subject matter; if you've ever felt like the world around us is getting weirder and weirder than this song speaks to you. All that is wrong with the world is made right, even if it's only for three minutes.

Someday I Suppose by The Mighty Mighty Bosstones



Certainly not their most famous song but I think it's one of their best. I couldn't find my favorite version of it however so this music video will have to do. If you ever get a chance I recommend buying or downloading their LIVE album. The Bosstones always sound better live than in studio to my ears and I think you'll agree.

5. Lolita by Mustard Plug



"Your love blows me....AWAAY!" This song, like all of Mustard Plug's songs just plain makes me grin. Bonus for Mustard Plug and Simpsons fans: this song is off of the "Pray For Mojo" album.

6. Mr. Smiley by Mustard Plug



This song is on the list because of how clever the subject matter is. Listen to the tale of a boy and his imaginary friend....who happens to be a mass murderer. It's a classic.

7. Round Kid by Buck-O-Nine




The first track on their phenomenally fun album "Twenty-Eight Teeth" this song holds a special place in my heart because of the memories I have associated with it. I had a lot of fun times to this entire album and this song embodies all of them.


8. Idiot Box by the Aqaubats 





It's funny to me that the Aquabats once sang a song about the evils of too much TV because now they are in charge of one of the hottest TV shows for kids in the last decade, the surreal and hilarious, YO GABBA GABBA

9. History of a Boring Town by Less Than Jake




Ever been stuck in one place for way to long? Ever feel like your peers are passing you by and living their lives while you're stuck running in circles? Less Than Jake knows the feeling and expresses it in this hard rocking song. Vent your frustrations in the pit boys and girls.


10. Walking Away by Streetlight Manifesto




These guys are the newest band (on my radar) out of everyone on this list but they are one of the most musically talented ska bands around. I had the pleasure of seeing them open for the Reel Big Fish in Fort Lauderdale, Fl a few years ago and Dan Regan (of RBF fame) turned to me and said, "These guys are like Reel Big Fish with talent." It made me laugh (always a fan of self deprecation) but it also rang as a high compliment and instantly peaked my interest in the band. I think this song is a great way to show off what these guys can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment