Monday, September 13, 2010

"You Better Get in the Chair" or Shawn Gets Extra Work on a TV Show (Part 1)

When I first moved to L.A. (without a place to live, any money or a job) one of my first orders of business was to go over to Central Casting and add my name to the sea of wannabe actors hoping to get some easy work as a Background Actor. Central Casting is one of the largest Background Casting agencies in L.A. and every week hundreds of actors and actresses turn in their resumes and head-shots, hoping to make some extra money by standing around in the background of a movie or TV show helping to populate the fictional world. It is a thankless job and frustrating for most career actors because you get no lines, no respect and are generally treated like cattle.

I don't want to be an actor. I don't look as background work as beneath me. I see it as an opportunity to get paid while standing around on a movie/TV set, which is infinitely better than working in a gas station, McDonald's or some other boring day-job. That's why I felt no pressure the day I went to Central, handed in my head-shot, resume (with NO film or TV credits) and processing fee (everything costs money here, even trying to get work costs money). I also felt no pressure when I NEVER HEARD A WORD FROM CENTRAL over the next 9 months. In fairness, if you're serious about background acting you can't just turn in your head-shot and walk away. You have to call their hotline everyday and submit yourself for as many roles as you think you'd be good for if you REALLY want to get the work. I never did any of that which is why I never got work and ultimately forgot I was even in their system...until they called me a few weeks ago.

My phone rang. I answered and hear, "Hi, can I speak to Shawn DePasquale please?"

"This is him," I say.

"Hi Shawn this is Jessie over at Central and I'm just wondering if you would be available for Monday and Tuesday of next week," comes the kind voice over the phone.

Now, at the time I was working a job I LOATHED, so even though I actually wasn't free and still didn't really know what this call was about I still said, "Sure."

In retrospect I realize this was stupid. I really didn't know what I was being asked to do, didn't even realize "central" was "Central Casting", but I figured at the time anything had to be better than what I was currently doing, so I inquired further, "What's this for exactly?"

"The show is called I'm In The Band. It's a Disney show. Tapes in front of a live audience. They need you to play the part of a music studio technician. Two days work," he said and then went on to explain the details.

When I hung up the phone I immediately called my current boss to tell him something important had come up and I wouldn't be in the following week for two days. I then went to the closet where I keep my head-shots and double-checked what I looked like in them to make sure I hadn't changed anything since taking the pictures. Luckily I had been growing my beard back for the past month because I am fully bearded in the head-shots and that's certainly the reason they picked me.

The following Monday I arrived at the studio, parked, walked to the gate, got my pass and heading towards Stage 10 where they shoot the show. Along the walk I passed signs for other Disney shows that I was familiar with but had never seen (Suite Life of Zack and Cody!) and finally arrived at Stage 10, sweatier than I wanted to be but still excited for the day.

The studio (and as I've grown to learn, MOST studios) was surprisingly relaxed with their security once you get in the front gate. After I had my lot pass no one looked twice at me or stopped me from walking anywhere. When I finally arrived at Stage 10 I just sort of wandered inside and started to look around at the sets built for the show. The first one I saw was the recording studio where I would later film my scene. It was impressively detailed, complete with a WORKING soundboard, computer with sound mixing software and a separate room for the band complete with large Plexiglas window between the two rooms.

I continued to wander through the sets; past a garage and the full living room/kitchen set that stands in as the main character's house until I reached the end of the stage where a full breakfast buffet had been set up by craft services. It was here that I was finally greeted by another person, the show's 2nd Assistant Director, who introduced herself to me, welcomed me to have as much food as I wanted and then instructed me to sit in the bleachers (where the studio audience would sit that night) until I was called for.

As I loaded my plate with eggs, potatoes, the best bacon I've ever had in my life and a few silver-dollar pancakes, I tried to contain my excitement which was growing in pace with the mountain of food on my Styrofoam plate.On the outside I was just another Extra, happily eating and waiting for my day to begin. Inside I was an overly giddy man-child, thankful this was my job for two days but already depressed that I would have to go back to my REAL job later that week.

A large portion of the rest of the day was spent sitting in the bleachers watching them pre-record several of the scenes that the studio audience would watch while they set up the scenes they shoot live. I broke up this time with several more trips to the craft services area (THEY HAD A SMOOTHIE MACHINE!!!) and a few walks around the studio lot. Finally the 2nd A.D. wrangled myself and the few other actors there who were playing background roles and brought us backstage to get approval by the show's make-up and hair people.

We went through two sets of doors adjacent to the  stage and were led into a large hallway lined with the stars dressing rooms. Loud music blasted from behind each of the doors, creating a cacophony of noise in the hall. The A.D. stopped us at the only open door in the hallway which led into the hair/make-up room.

"I got the extra's here. Can you take a look at hair and make-up?"

The hairdresser stopped what she was doing, glanced up at me and said, "Hair's fine."

The make-up lady stopped what she was doing, glanced up at me, made a face like someone who bit into an onion and said, "Um....you better take a seat."

To be continued.....

NEXT: MAKE UP! LIGHTS! ALAN THICKE!

7 comments:

  1. A cliffhanger!

    I like your writing style, Shawn. Why'd you stop blogging again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because I'm lazy and lack of response makes it that much harder to push myself to post.

    Neither are a good excuse. Expect more from me in the coming months.

    Thanks for reading. I appreciate the support more than you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read it.

    I like it. Twitter the finale so I can know what happens!

    Did you quick driving for stars?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Driving on occasion.

    Finale up tomorrow. I'll be sure to tweet the shit out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anything is better than DSG. Congrats, dude. Sounds like fun.


    -Jared Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great start to a happy story. Keep up the good work. You have writing talent. Your style (similiar to mine) makes for a great read. You just don't want to put it down. Have fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When is the next part of this going up? I am a huge fan of Robin Thicke and want to hear about anything related to him, even if it's just something about his dad.

    ReplyDelete