Sunday, May 31, 2009

Shawn Takes Manhattan - Day 1 and 2: Long Island

Okay, take two since the update I wrote and posted from my phone never showed up on the site. TECH FAIL! 

I arrived Saturday morning and was greeted at the airport by jay Shatz who whisked me back to his quaint 3 story home in suburban Cederhearst. Cederhearst is basically Coral Springs with basements and better grass (also a lot more Orthodox Jews). It's a really nice town though and a bit less commercialized than Springs which makes for a better ascetic
We spent most of the day Saturday lounging around the house and hanging with Tina (Jay's wife) and their kids (my God kids) Kacie and Ryan. The kids are cute as can be and if I was worried that they wouldn't remember me it was a waste of a worry because they knew exactly who I was. Ryan is like a mini, high-pitched version of his Dad and Kacie is her Mother's daughter in every way ( I even caught her checking her hair in the mirror a few times). I say most of the day because Saturday afternoon Jay and I walked the kids down to a park and played for a few hours (video at the YouTube link below).
Ryan, in particular, impressed me at the park when he grabbed my hand, pointed at a large jungle gym and said, "Let's get on the pirate ship!" He then proceeded to "sail" us to an "island" where we "Crashed" and were "attacked by bad guys. He reminded me of me when I was a kid, always having stories and adventures when I played (he also LOVES super heroes and has a kick-ass Iron Man toy). 
After the park Tina took the kids to spend the night at their Grandmas (they went but only after making me PROMISE to not leave before they got back....adorable).  Tonight I got to read them a story and put them to bed it was fun to take care of kids again but funner still knowing they're not mine. 

Today Jason Rogers brought his wife Sarah and their daughter Daphne over to the house and we all went for brunch at this awesome diner. The egg sandwich I had was on par with D'Apple Cafe back home but their waitress had a creepy Greek accent and sounded mad every time she talked. Daphne, who I think is 17 months old, was the best behaved baby in a restaurant I've ever seen. She's too cute for words and later I'll post pictures you'll see what I mean. After breakfast we played with a Frisbee in the Shatz's front yard and watched some TV while the kids played with toys. 

Tomorrow I head into the City to begin my adventures making my first stop at Mighty Dave Kushner's (of www.mightydavekushner.com fame) place and then I'll be bouncing around town trying to see all my East Coast friends before I make my trek out West in July. 

Since I'm pressed for time I'm going to put up links to my YouTube and Picasa drop boxes where I've been posting videos and pictures if you're interested. 


2 comments:

  1. keep posting. Love the video, pics and little stories you tell. Gey forgets your only away for a week. She misses you. Me too

    ReplyDelete
  2. loving your blog, videos and pics. Keeping posting. Gey forgets you only went away for a week. I have to keep reminding her your in NY and not la. She misses you. me too#

    ReplyDelete