Friday, April 14, 2006

PASSedOVER

Wednesday night was the first night of Passover. For those NOT in the know this is the holiday the Jews celebrate that represents the struggle "our people" suffered through under the pharaoh's rule in Egypt before Moses came and led us all out of Egypt. Essentially this is the holiday that you can learn the most about from watching the film, THE TEN COMMANDMENTS.
So on Passover we Jews sit around the dinner table at have what we call a Seder. This is supposed to take place the first two night of this 8-day holiday. The Seder is laced with customs and rules. We read passages from the Torah and sing songs and cannot eat any bread or anything not blessed as Kosher for Passover...
In my house Passover goes like this: my Grandfather reads the highlights from the Torah and the Passover blessing and history books my parents picked up at the local supermarket. We usually breeze through the ceremony, keeping it WAAAAY informal. Then we dig into the food and gorge ourselves on matzoh balls, matzoh crackers, chicken or turkey, greenbean casserole made with matzoh and gefilte fish (if you've never had a piece of gefilte fish allow me to describe it to you: it is a ground de-boned fish recipe using a variety of kosher fish meat that is then made into fish balls and coated in a thin clear slime... Yes, I said slime). What follows is four to five days of painful constipation and then a glorious expelling of all things matzoh...It's not my favorite holiday.
This year was my girlfriend and her two-year-olds first Passover. They aren't Jewish and have never had the pleasure. Maybe I'll have my girlfriend write up her view of this year's Passover Seder and I'll post it here in the next couple of days.
If anyone is actually reading this and would like to POST their Passover (or Easter) stories or thoughts or gripes....Please feel free to do so in the comments section below.

No comments: